Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thinking Point: The End of the "End of Print"

Back on March 6, Cramer announced on MSNBC that the crisis of a depression is over and now we just have to deal with a nasty recession. Based on the market performance since then, he seems to have got it right.

Those who listened profited handsomely, at least for a while. But that's just the market, now comes the hard work of getting out of global recession. But that's not a crisis, just a lot of hard, focused work and a couple of lucky breaks.

Yesterday in my latest column at PBS.Mediashift I declared that it the crisis of the End of Print is over. The title, written by the editor, is The Fallacy of the "Print is Dead" meme. I wanted to call it The End of the "End of Print" or maybe the The Death of "Death of Print."

Since I've been on this little soapbox for about ten years, I figure that sooner or later I'm going to get the timing right.

Disclaimer: Being right in the past is no guarantee of being right in the future, either in the market, the gambling table, in government or in a global. It is well understood that that even a broken clock gives you the correct time, at least twice a day.

At any rate, at the end of the column I wrote,

Go Print!

I've been a print evangelist on the web since 2005. (If you are interested you can read my columns at WhatTheyThink.com back in the day.) In my first MediaShift column on February 17, titled Print is the Next Big Thing I said:

1. The best interactive tools for learning are still a page of print and a highlighter.
2. Print is the best search platform in proximate physical space.
3. Print can be seen as a toy, a token or a tool -- things that people have and will continue to gladly pay for.
4. Once print is connected to cloud computing, everything will change again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment